Gingerbread House Competition and Display
The gingerbread houses on display will delight you!! Join us for a walk through a village of gingerbread houses from Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon at the Woman’s Club of St. Michaels on St. Mary’s Square. No admission is charged. Many of the creations are available for sale to take home and to share with family and friends. Houses are first available during the Gingerbread House Preview Cocktail Party. Proceeds from the sale of these houses support the beneficiaries of Christmas in St. Michaels.
Pictured above is the 2015 People’s Choice Award Winner.
As a special treat in 2015 we are featuring an Old Fashioned Christmas Village Display with 3 trains – O gauge, Lionel and MTH.
The gingerbread house entries are divided into seven categories with cash prizes awarded in each:
- Master (chefs, caterers and anyone who chooses) – $500 1st Prize
- Adult (19+) – $250 1st Prize, $150 2nd Prize, $100 3rd Prize
- Young Adult (13-18) – $100 1st Prize
- Children (12 and under) – $100 1st Prize
- Adult with Child (12 and under) – $100 1st Prize
- Kits: Children (12 and under); Young Adult (13-18); Adult (19+) – $25 1st Prize in each age group
- NEW for 2015: Non-profit Community Organization – Open to all non-profit community organizations; no kits permitted in this category – $100 1st Prize
In addition to the above categories, a $100 cash prize will be awarded for the Candy Backus Award (Best Depiction of the Eastern Shore) and $50 for the Peoples’ Choice Award.
|REGISTRATION AND DROP-OFF - NO ENTRY FEE
A registration packet will be provided to each entrant upon house delivery
|When:||Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015, 9am - 1 pm|
|Where:||Woman's Club of St. Michaels, St. Mary's Square|
Checks and awards will be given to the winners at 2pm on Sunday afternoon (12/13/15) of Christmas in St. Michaels weekend, at the Woman’s Club of St. Michaels on St. Mary’s Square. Participants not donating their houses for auction can pick them up at this time.
|Viewing Times for Gingerbread Houses and Trains|
|Friday||Dec. 11, 2015||Noon - 3pm|
|Saturday||Dec. 12, 2015||9am - 5pm|
|Sunday||Dec. 13, 2015||10am - 3pm|
CREATE A GINGERBREAD HOUSE
For those of you who might need inspiration to get started creating your gingerbread house, check out all the photographs of houses on this page. Or come to a FREE Gingerbread Demonstration and How To Hints on Saturday, November 7, 2015, 2pm, at the St. Michaels Branch Talbot County Free Library, 106 Fremont Street. If you need a recipe for the house or the icing, click on the Recipe Button below.
- To enter and register a gingerbread house, deliver it to the Woman’s Club of St. Michaels at St. Mary’s Square on Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015, from 9am – 1pm (the weekend before Christmas in St. Michaels). There is no entry fee.
- House walls and roof must be made of gingerbread. Graham crackers or cookies may be used as decorations.
- All decorations must be edible. Candies wrapped in foil, cellophane or plastic must be free of the wrapper.
- Lights may NOT be used on entries.
- Completed houses must be secured to a base and be completely covered with an edible substance (e.g. icing). The edge of the board on which the house rests may be covered with ribbon.
- House base for Children’s Entries (12 and under) not to exceed 12″x12″.
- House base for Adult and Young Adult Entries not to exceed 18″x18″.
- House base for Master Entries not to exceed 24″x24″.
- Houses will be judged on creativity, design and overall appearance.