Gingerbread “House” Competition and Display
any imaginative creation welcome
The gingerbread creations on display will delight you!! Join us for a tour of all entries and vote for your favorite from Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon at the Woman’s Club of St. Michaels on St. Mary’s Square. No admission is charged. Many of the creations are available for sale to take home and to share with family and friends. Entries are first available during the Gingerbread “House” Preview Cocktail Party. Proceeds from the sale of these creations support the beneficiaries of Christmas in St. Michaels.
Pictured above is the 2015 People’s Choice Award Winner. Click on it for enlargement!
The gingerbread entries are divided into seven categories with cash prizes awarded in each:
- Master (chefs, caterers and anyone who chooses) – $500 1st Prize
- Adult (19+) – $300 1st Prize, $200 2nd Prize, $150 3rd Prize
- Young Adult (13-18) – $100 1st Prize
- Child (12 and under) – $100 1st Prize
- Child with Adult (12 and under) – $100 1st Prize
- Kits: Child (12 and under); Young Adult (13-18); Adult (19+) – $50 1st Prize in each age group
- Non-profit Community Organization – Open to all non-profit community organizations; no kits permitted in this category – $150 1st Prize
In addition to the above categories, a $150 cash prize will be awarded for the Candy Backus Award (Best Depiction of the Eastern Shore) and $100 for the Peoples’ Choice Award.
|REGISTRATION AND DROP-OFF - NO ENTRY FEE
A registration packet will be provided to each entrant upon house delivery
|When:||Saturday, Dec. 3, 2016, 9am - 1 pm|
|Where:||Woman's Club of St. Michaels, St. Mary's Square|
Checks and awards will be given to the winners at 2pm on Sunday afternoon (12/11/16) of Christmas in St. Michaels weekend, at the Woman’s Club of St. Michaels on St. Mary’s Square. Participants not donating their entries for auction can pick them up at this time.
|Viewing Times for Gingerbread Houses and Trains|
|Friday||Dec. 9, 2016||Noon - 3pm|
|Saturday||Dec. 10, 2016||9am - 5pm|
|Sunday||Dec. 11, 2016||10am - 3pm|
CREATE A GINGERBREAD HOUSE
For those of you who might need inspiration to get started check out all the photographs of gingerbread creations on this page. Or come to a FREE Gingerbread Demonstration and How To Hints on Saturday, November 5, 2016, 2pm, at the St. Michaels Branch of Talbot County Free Library, 106 Fremont Street. The library also has a gingerbread display and informational books. If you need a recipe for the gingerbread or the icing, click on the Recipe Button below.
- To enter and register a gingerbread creation, deliver it to the Woman’s Club of St. Michaels at St. Mary’s Square on Saturday, Dec. 3, 2016, from 9am – 1pm (the weekend before Christmas in St. Michaels). There is NO entry fee.
- All entries must be made of gingerbread. Graham crackers or cookies may be used as decorations.
- All decorations must be edible. Candies wrapped in foil, cellophane or plastic must be free of the wrapper.
- Lights may NOT be used on entries.
- Completed entries must be secured to a base and be completely covered with an edible substance (e.g. icing). The edge of the board on which the house rests may be covered with ribbon.
- House base for Children’s Entries (12 and under) not to exceed 12″x12″.
- House base for Adult and Young Adult Entries not to exceed 18″x18″.
- House base for Master Entries not to exceed 24″x24″.
- Entries will be judged on creativity, design and overall appearance.